The Department of Public Health and Human Services is trying to change the rules so people can ask for their birth certificates to be changed. In order to make Montana compliant with the recommendations of the “Word Professional Association for Transgender Health,” the new rules would allow a male who thinks they’re a woman or a female who thinks they’re a man to change their birth certificate to show what they want it to show.

We urge all Montanans to submit public comment. It’s being accepted until October 20 at this email address:

If you can submit comment, please consider the following points:

  • Something this significant should be decided by the Legislature, not bureaucrats.
  • The proposed language includes no definition of transition, so it’s impossible to objectively verify.
  • The proposed language removess the word sex and replaces it with gender, which is also impossible to objectively verify.